University System of Maryland (USM) Dissertation House at the PROMISE Summer Success Institute – August 13-15, 2015
The University of Maryland, Baltimore and PROMISE Maryland’s AGEP are sponsoring a system-wide Dissertation House for graduate students in STEM programs. The writing and research retreat will take place at the Hotel at Arundel Preserve. Lodging for 2 nights and meals are provided for student participants. Twelve students from the USM system schools will be chosen to participate in this research and writing retreat. http://www.thehotelarundel.com/
2015 PROMISE SSI Dissertation House Schedule:
- Thursday 8/13, 3:00 PM Hotel Check-in
- Thursday 8/13, 5:00 PM Dissertation House Opening Session, Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale (Dissertation Coach)
- Thursday 8/13, 6 PM – 7 PM: Dinner Meeting
- Thursday 8/13, 7 PM – 12 midnight: Work Session #1
- Friday 8/14, 8 AM – 9 AM: Breakfast
- Friday 8/14, 9 AM – 9:15 AM: Welcome – Dr. Erin Golembewski (UMB)
- Friday 8/14, 9:15 AM – 10 AM: Mini Lecture – Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale
- Friday 8/14, 10 AM – 12 noon: Work Session #2
- Friday 8/14, 12 PM – 1PM: Working Lunch
- Friday 8/14, 1 PM – 2PM: “Writing Lab” Seminar with Clancy Clawson of the UMB Writing Center
- Friday 8/14, 2 PM – 6 PM Work Session #3
- Friday 8/14, 6 PM – 7 PM Dinner Meeting
- Friday 8/14, 7 PM -12 midnight Work Session #4
- Saturday 8/15, 8 AM – 3 PM: PROMISE Summer Success Institute Program, includes #ThinkBigDiversity breakout session for “Continuing Students.”
- Saturday 8/15, HOTEL Late checkout (time TBA)
- SSI Suite – Hotel at Arundel Preserve: Friday 8/14, 8:30PM – 10 PM: Sisters in the Dissertation House Book Discussion & Dessert Session – Optional DH activity, part of the PROMISE SSI, open to others outside of the DH event (sponsored by the PROMISE AGEP, with DH Alumni Dr. Jennifer Bacon and Dr. Shanna Smith)
- Students who want to stay until Sunday are encouraged to book an extra night on their own for a Saturday night – Sunday stay: Guests can call the hotel’s main line and reference “PROMISE AGEP SSI 2015” or group code “3065” to book remaining group discounted rates: 410-796-9830, http://hotelarundel.com/
- Anyone who stays Saturday-Sunday will have the option to have additional one-on-one, or small group mentoring sessions with Dr. Renetta Tull, PROMISE Director.
Eligibility for the SSI Dissertation House:
1) Enrolled in a STEM graduate program (based on the NSF-supported fields per the NSFGRFP) at one of the schools within the University System of Maryland
2) Underrepresented according to the NSF Definition for AGEP, U.S. Citizen
Per NSF.gov: AGEP is committed to the national goal of increasing the numbers of underrepresented minorities (URMs), including those with disabilities, entering and completing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) graduate education and postdoctoral training to levels representative of the available pool. URMs include African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders.
This event is part of the 2015 PROMISE Summer Success Institute. Following the Dissertation House (DH) sessions on Thursday and Friday, all DH participants will be required to continue participation in the PROMISE SSI on Saturday, August 15, 2015 at The Hotel at Arundel Preserve:
All 12 participants will check in on Thursday, and check out on Saturday.
TO APPLY: Follow the instructions outlined on the application page: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/apply/
DEADLINE: Friday, July 24, 2015
The host for the 2015 USM-wide Dissertation House will be the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB).
UMB’s Sr. Associate Dean of the Graduate School, Dr. Erin Golembewski, and the team from UMB (Coordinator – LaNette Parson, Writing Center Coordinator – Clancy Clawson) welcome applicants from around the state to UMB’s 2015 PROMISE Dissertation House. As part of the PROMISE SSI Dissertation House structure, complimentary hotel lodging will be provided for DH participants. Students from western Maryland and the Eastern Shore, e.g., Frostburg University, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, and Salisbury University, are particularly encouraged to participate. Learn more about PROMISE at UMB:
Dissertation Coach: Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale