University System of Maryland (USM) Dissertation House at the PROMISE Summer Success Institute – August 18-19, 2016 (with activities on 8/20-8/21) – The Hotel at Arundel Preserve, Hanover, Maryland.
UMBC and PROMISE Maryland’s AGEP are sponsoring the 2016 system-wide Dissertation House for graduate students in STEM programs. The writing and research retreat will take place at the Hotel at Arundel Preserve. Lodging for 3 nights and meals are provided for student participants. Twelve students from the USM system schools will be chosen to participate in this research and writing retreat. http://www.thehotelarundel.com/. This event is available to graduate students at any school within the University System of Maryland: http://www.usmd.edu/institutions/.
2016 PROMISE SSI Dissertation House Schedule (subject to updates):
- 3:00 PM Hotel Check-in
- 4:00 PM Arrive in Dissertation House Room, 2nd Floor, Hotel, set up laptops.
- 5:00 PM Dissertation House Opening Session, Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale (Dissertation Coach)
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM: Dinner Meeting
- 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM: Work Session #1
- 7:00 AM – 9 AM: Working Breakfast
- 9:00 AM – 9:15 AM: Welcome
- 9:15 AM – 10:00 AM: Mini Lecture – Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM: “Writing Lab” Seminar with Jocelyn Broadwick of the UMB Writing Center
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Work Session #2
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM: Working Lunch
- 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM Work Session #3
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM Dinner Meeting
- 7:00 PM -11:00 PM Work Session #4
- 8:30 PM – “Sisters in the Dissertation House Dessert Discussion” (Optional, 6th Floor)
- 7:30 AM – 3:00 PM: PROMISE Summer Success Institute Program, includes #ThinkBigDiversity #PathwaysToThePrize breakout session for “Continuing Students.”
- 4:00 PM Career-Life Balance and networking options
- 9:00 AM Debrief Breakfast/Coffee session with Dr. Renetta Tull, PROMISE Director. Location: Bagels ‘n’ Grinds Cafe, across the street from the hotel (optional).
Eligibility for the SSI Dissertation House:
1) Enrolled in a STEM graduate program (based on the NSF-supported fields per the NSFGRFP) at one of the schools within the University System of Maryland
2) Underrepresented according to the NSF Definition for AGEP, U.S. Citizen
Per NSF.gov: AGEP is committed to the national goal of increasing the numbers of underrepresented minorities (URMs), including those with disabilities, entering and completing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) graduate education and postdoctoral training to levels representative of the available pool. URMs include African Americans, Hispanic Americans, American Indians, Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders.
This event is part of the 2016 PROMISE Summer Success Institute. Following the Dissertation House (DH) sessions on Thursday and Friday, all DH participants will be required to continue participation in the PROMISE SSI on Saturday, August 20, 2016 at The Hotel at Arundel Preserve.
All 12 participants will check in on Thursday, and check out on Sunday.
If you do not fit the eligibility criteria for the USM PROMISE Dissertation House at the 2016 SSI, please join us for the “Summer Challenge 2016 Dissertation House ONLINE.” You will be able to blog daily, and work along with others who are attending the Dissertation House in-person. You can participate in the Summer Challenge 2016 Dissertation House ONLINE from any location in the world. The Dissertation House online does not have any space limits. Invite friends to join. This Dissertation House experience is open to students from all disciplines, all backgrounds, any school.
TO APPLY for the in-person event at the hotel as part of the SSI: Follow the instructions outlined on the application page: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/apply/
Use the subject: “USM PROMISE 2016 Dissertation House” when you email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: Friday, July 24, 2016 (EXTENDED Thurs. July 28, 2016)
We welcome applicants from around the state to the USM 2016 PROMISE Dissertation House. As part of the PROMISE SSI Dissertation House structure, complimentary hotel lodging will be provided for DH participants. Students from western Maryland and the Eastern Shore, e.g., Frostburg University, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, and Salisbury University, are particularly encouraged to participate.
Dissertation Coach: Dr. Wendy Carter-Veale