March Madness is here! The DH students have their “insanity” countdowns, and the team is rallying for the big finish! There are defenses coming up within the next few weeks so we’re cheering everyone on!
There are no traditional “March Madness basketball tournament” brackets here. We’re not eliminating anyone, and we’re not counting anyone out. Unlike the basketball tournaments, we’re not pitting teams against each other, and we don’t expect defeats. Instead, we’re preparing each of you for victory! You’ve been practicing, working hard, training, and positioning yourselves to win. Here are some thoughts to keep in mind as you prepare for your respective championships:
- You can do this! You’ve come too far to turn back now.
- You’re brilliant. Have you been reading what you’ve written? Aren’t you impressed? Of course you have more to write, and more corrections are on the way. It isn’t perfect, but you’ll work to be sure that it’s accurate. There is always room for improvement, even after the dissertation is bound and filed (even after you’ve published it in a journal), but take a couple of minutes to appreciate and celebrate what you’ve already achieved.
- The lessons from this journey are becoming a scholar and writing a dissertation. You’ve learned about perseverance, persistence, and determination. To those characteristics, when you work with others along the way, you can also add connection, laughter, sharing, bonding, and friendship. The DH blog has clear evidence of that connection: https://dissertationhouse.wordpress.com/blog-online-challenge/winter-challenge-2012/
Here are your rooms/training facilities at UMBC (for DH participants from UMBC, UM College Park, UMB, or those who have had consultations with Dissertation Coach Dr. Carter-Veale.)
- Friday, March 9, 2012 from 8:30 to 11:45 AM and again from 1:15 to 5:30 PM Commons Room 318 (This room has a meeting being held between 12 noon and 1 PM, which means that everyone will have to leave for that allotted time.)
- Saturday, March 10, 2012 from 1:00 PM to 8:00 PM Commons 327
- Sunday, March 11, 2012 from 12 noon to 8:00 PM Commons 327
- Friday, March 16, 2012 from 8:30 to 11:45 and again from 1:15 to 5:30 PM Commons Room 331(This room has a meeting being held between 12 noon and 1 PM, which means that everyone will have to leave for that allotted time.)
- Saturday, March 17, 2012 from 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM Math/Psy Room 102
- Sunday, March 18, 2012 from 12 noon to 8:00 PM Math/Psy Room 103
Thanks to the PROMISE team at UMBC and the UMBC Event staff for making arrangements for continuous operation of the Dissertation House.